Friday, August 11, 2006

Notes on Socialization (And Some Notes About My Children, Too)

Wow, have I been busy. In a nutshell, I've spent this week getting a life. I've finally connected with a few other moms in the area and found some ways to socialize a little while letting my kids socialize, too. Oh, this feels so much better. I also spent some time working on the possibility of part-time employment in my future.

The biggest news of all, though, is that Phase One of potty training is over. My son is completely potty-trained. Finally. He is only a few weeks away from pre-school, so you can imagine how relieved we are. He has been peeing in the potty for a long time and even stays dry at night, but he was afraid to poop in the potty. He would just go put on a diaper when he had to go. A few nights ago, though, he did his business where his business should be done. I have never choked back tears at the sight of a turd before. Let me tell you, I was deeply moved, but I did not allow myself to cry. My son's therapy will be expensive enough as it is without the extra years tacked on for dealing with my having wept over his poop. Now, my son likes to walk around, chin high, shoulders back, and say nonchalantly, "Oh, I poop in the potty all the time."

And me? Oh, I get out of the house and talk with other moms all the time.

No comments: