Monday, January 08, 2007

Why Does She Cross Her Legs When She Blows Out the Candles?

I don't know if urinary incontinence happens to every woman who has had children, but I surely know my share of moms who wet themselves when they cough, or when they laugh too hard, or when they are puking their guts out during their subsequent pregnancies. Which is not to say, necessarily, that I am one of those free-peeing women. Which is not to say, necessarily, that I am not.

My thirty-fifth birthday is approaching fast. By this time next week, I will be a year older. Ok, well, a week older, technically, but you know what I mean. And if ever a woman such as myself were to get smacked upside the head with a point to illustrate her advancing age, it would be a night out at the comedy club for said woman and her thirty-something friend, both of whom are wearing some sort of, shall we say, feminine protection from the wetness that could possibly present itself during a particularly funny bit. Hypothetically, you know.

In stark contrast to the sad (but possibly hypothetical) reality of having to wear a Poise pad on the first night in years I've actually been carded, I am looking forward soon to something that will make me feel so much younger and more vibrant: a dishwasher! I'm getting a dishwasher for my birthday! We initially thought we would have to get the compact kind because we have such limited space in our kitchen now. However, when the guy came to give us an estimate on installation, he discovered a way we could fit in a full-size dishwasher. Yippee!!!!

We used to have a dishwasher at our old house. I've been doing the dishes by hand for the last year and a half now, and I have to say I've nearly forgotten how easy clean-up can be. I'm going to save tons of time! And I'll even cook more! Yeah, that's the ticket! And I will try new recipes and make all sorts of nutritious stuff and make my whole family happier and healthier, all because of a dishwasher! It will change our lives! I am beyond excited! And now I shall do the birthday girl's dance of joy.

After I run to get a pad. Hypothetically, of course.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, its me from down the road. Mel, Tertia's sister. I love your blog and I love your fluent soul name. Thanks for your caring & sensitive comments about my girly. It must be very hard to hear your daughter stutter. I am also 35, well actually turning 36 in April. I am not going to get a dishwasher as I have one. She is beautiful, her name is BOSCH and she is 4 years old. Such a win, especially for dinner parties.
I look forward to reading more about you and your life and your kid/kids?
Mel

fluentsoul said...

Hi, Mel! I'm glad you stopped by. Your dishwasher sounds great. ;-)

If you tried to email me and it didn't work, let me know. I think the email account I use with my blog might have expired because I so rarely use it. If so, I'll either reactivate it or set up a new one.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!! You are so young, chickie. Isn't it great how the older we get the more excited we are about appliances as birthday presents?

Melissa said...

I am right there with you, both in age (turned 35 last year) and, um, in that other issue. Hypothetically, of course.

The dishwashwer sounds fabulous. Ours is old and crappy and you have to practically wash every dish first. A shiny new dishwasher is something to be excited about.

Happy birthday!