Friday, November 03, 2006

L.'s Evaluation

L. had her speech evaluation today at a local university clinic. Initially we were told she couldn't be evaluated until January, but only a few days later we got another phone call saying someone could evaluate her sooner after all. It turns out they weren't initially anxious to see L because of her age; stuttering apparently begins when children develop more complex expressive language skills. To quote the speech pathologist, "When I first heard that a twenty-two month old had been referred for a fluency evaluation, I said, 'It's impossible. She's too young.' But then when I read the case history and the sample sentences she was saying, I decided okay, maybe I'm wrong."

During the evaluation, L. was incredibly fluent. Naturally. It reminds me of the Michigan J. Frog cartoon. There were only two or three moments when she stuttered, and even those were minor. I did, however, give them a tape of her talking at home, one segment from several weeks ago when her speech was quite severe, and one segment done last night when she was just mildly disfluent. Once they watch the tape, they'll realize why I took her in, I'm sure.

The plan right now (pre video viewing, of course) is to watch her for a while. They will contact me once or twice a month to check in, at which point we will decide whether or not they should see her again, based on how her speech is then. I am also to call if it becomes severe again. They gave me a list of things to do (slow my speech, encourage turn-taking when both kids are vying for the spotlight, etc.) , most of which they said they noticed I'm already doing. If L is still stuttering in 12 months, they/we will start an intervention program that seems to work well with preschoolers.

L. was very well-behaved for the evaluation and just ate up all the attention. She did manage to embarrass me a bit with her insistence that every doll's clothes must come off. Both the pathologist and her student couldn't get over L's language level. They were most impressed with her use of the word manatee (she saw one at the zoo and liked it) and the sentence, "I pretending Mommy a bunny." It was kind of funny watching these two grown women nearly wet themselves over the jabberings of a small child. The elder woman was orgasmic over L's correct use of the "-ing" ending.

Because I'm too lazy to put the rest in paragraph form, here are a few of the main points from our post-evaluation conversation:
  • L's good language skills give her a better shot of overcoming stuttering.
  • Secondary behaviors are indeed rare in children, but they are not unheard of.
  • L's being a girl gives her a better chance of outgrowing the stuttering.
  • The fact that my dad and brother outgrew their stuttering is another sign in her favor.
  • Stuttering usually begins very mildly and without any tension. It's rare for it to come on so strongly.
  • They said it was a good sign that the few disfluencies L had today seemed to be without tension. (I am not sure I entirely agree with their assessment on that point. True, there wasn't much tension. But I think it was there. Just a touch, under the surface. Perhaps I'm being overly sensitive, or perhaps it is my stuttering radar picking up on what others don't hear. I'll hope for the former.)
  • They recommend the Lidcombe Program of Early Stuttering Intervention if she does happen to continue to stutter after twelve months. (I had my initial misgivings about the program when they first explained it to me, but the more I learn, the more optimistic I am about it.)

Overall, I am pleased with the evaluation and the professionalism of the evaluators. They were really good with my daughter and did indeed know their stuff. And they left me with the hope that L might very well shrug this thing off and trample all over it like a jacket she's determined not to wear. Nothing would make me happier.

4 comments:

WriterGrrl said...

Whenever D. has an evaluation, I find myself of two minds: I simultaneously try to tell them how normal! and on target! he is AND emphasize the skills he does not have. And I talk WAY too much at these evaluations. And I usually feel OK at the end, but then I start reliving each moment and feel awful, then back to OK, then awful -- it's fun. This is why, despite my allergy to alcohol, I drink. Anyway, it sounds like you are doing all the right things. And loving unconditionally.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the evaluation gave you some more hope. Hang in there.

And manatee? That *is* impressive!

fluentsoul said...

Writergrrl, I can relate to your being "of two minds" during an evaluation. I felt like a total dork afterwards, too.

And thanks, Teej. Yeah, she's all about manatees right now. She thinks everything that lives in the water is a manatee. (Btw, I left comments on two of your posts but they didn't show up. Next time I'm going to try it from a different server and see if that helps. Your Day of the Dead post was absolutely beautiful.)

Anonymous said...

That is wonderful news! I am so glad you got an early evaluation and that the outlook is so positive. I am so amazed at her language levels - I mean an actual sentence??? I was peeing in my pants because LM started using about 50+ words recently and knows the whole alphabet but he doesn't string 2 words together let alone a sentence.

I am sort of like WG too - talking too much during the evaluations and telling them all the things he can do. It is hard not to do so.