Friday, July 14, 2006

Little Mommy Home

I'm posting earlier than usual today. Well, okay, so posting at all is unusual for me this week, I know, but if I had posted all those other days, it would have been later in the day than now. So why am I posting so early? Because I have no children to watch today!

That's right. My children are staying with my mother. They were there last night. Which means I slept in until 7:00, and I got up and sat on the couch for a while, and then I ate a leisurely breakfast.

Oh, sure I miss the kids. I've already called three times. My son is happy as a clam, though, and my daughter is doing pretty well, too. She did have one brief episode of sadness after my phone call last night. My mother tells me she said over and over, very sadly, "Mommy home. Mommy home. Little Mommy home."

Yes, my daughter calls me "Little Mommy" sometimes. I suppose she thinks little is a term of endearment since I cuddle her and call her my little girl. Naturally, I'm not going to correct her.

Anyway, while the kids are gone, I am doing all sorts of stuff to the house that I wanted to do before but didn't have the time. The hideous wallpaper is gone from our hallway. The hideous, hideous, HIDEOUS carpet is gone from the dining room, living room, and hallway. And the hallway walls have been painted. Wow. Is this my house?

My husband and I had been working on the carpet removal piece-meal after the kids went to bed each night. We weren't getting much sleep. Not because the removal was taking so long, but because afterwards we would just sit there for hours staring at the beautiful hardwood, saying things like, "Is this really our house?" and "Why would they have covered these floors with such ugly carpet?" and "Wow, this looks great!"

When I finish with my leisurely lunch and leisurely blog today, I shall then do some leisurely mopping and some leisurely cleaning up. And then, and then, Little Mommy is going to take a long shower, in the middle of the afternoon.

And then I'm going to call to make sure the kids are okay.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We need before and after pics of the floors! :-)

Wow - I remember when sleeping until 7am was getting up early but now it is so decadent!!