Monday, July 03, 2006

Women Like Me

It's weird baring my soul online for all to see. After my last post, I felt exposed. I went to bed early to escape the embarrassment. It's like all those gym class stories, in a way. Except only two people who know me in real life know about this blog, and only one reads it, so the embarrassment is at least mostly anonymous. Which is why I started this thing in the first place, I guess -- to have a place where I could whine about all the things that don't make me look so great, allowing anyone who wants to roll his or her eyes or curl a lip in disgust to do so without putting a friendship in jeopardy.

I can't figure it out -- should I be embarrassed? Am I ashamed for not being one hundred percent "over" the things my father said to hurt me, or am I embarrassed that I am/was the kind of person to whom such things could be said? I suppose it's both. And since this is the place where I can write the ugly stuff, I'm writing it. Because for better or worse, I am the kind of person to whom such things were said, and I am the kind of person who is still not completely "over it" all these years later despite having moved on and found happiness.

When I was no older than ten, I was riding home from a Boy Scout outing I had tagged along on since my mother was one of my brother's troop leaders. I heard on the radio some mention of the Equal Rights Amendment. I asked my mother what it was, and she gave me a very brief explanation: an amendment that would give women the same rights that men have. That evening at dinner I tried to prove that although I was the youngest and usually in the dark about politics and the like, I was now getting pretty smart indeed.

"I think the E.R.A. is a good idea!" I said with such childish enthusiasm.

My father whipped his head around and shot me a look of fury the likes of which I had never seen before. What he said next I never forgot, mostly because it was such a mystery to me.

"There are names," he sneered, "for women like you."

My first point of confusion was what I had done to anger my father, how political talk, which happened at our dinner table all the time, could upset him so much. My second point of confusion was that I was not a woman. I was just a kid. Maybe he wasn't talking to me? True, it is possible he was speaking to my mother in a passive-aggressive way since she was surely the one who had put such an idea in my head. But the glare was in my direction, no doubt about it. I remember trying to think up one name for "women like me," one insult bad enough to match the venom in his voice. I didn't know any names that bad.

What my father and I usually butted heads about was my body -- typically my weight, but occasionally a skirt that he deemed too short or the legs he wouldn't let me shave when I was in seventh grade. I always thought it was about my being fat and/or physically disgusting: I needed to lose weight and would not be worthy until I did so, and therefore my legs were different from the skinny girls' legs and did not merit being shaved or being visible. It was all because I was fat, you see.

When I think about the E.R.A. incident, however, I have to laugh because I realize the conflict wasn't only about my body -- in fact, I would dare to say that it wasn't even mostly about my body. The problem was always that he saw in me a feminine strength that threatened him. Why else would he think of such "names for women like you" when he looked at his pre-adolescent daughter? I scared him.

Someone pointed that out to me a long time ago, but I didn't see it. It took me a long time to realize it was true, that my dad, whom I had always seen as larger than life, was fallible, that he just didn't know what to do with me.

I still scare him.

Lately I have found myself in a position of power over him from time to time. It is strange. He screws up, and the natural consequences just knock him off his feet, and I find myself standing over him, looming larger than I meant to be. I nearly always feel sorry for him. I help him up, or I turn away and let him keep his dignity as he picks himself up.

I don't want to dishonor my father. But I don't want to protect him anymore. Just as I am angry with myself for speaking of all this, I am angry with myself for keeping silent. I couldn't find the words to say no when he wanted to weigh my children -- my husband was the one who spoke up. I couldn't even find the words to tell my father he was no longer going to be left alone with my children after this incident.

I am embarrassed that I dwell on past wrongs, and I am embarrassed that my father can still say and do such cruel things. I am embarrassed that I have not protected my father more, and I am embarrassed that I have not protected my children more. I am embarrassed because I can't forgive my father, and I am embarrassed because I can.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeesh! I don't know what to say but I don't want you baring your soul and not getting any feedback. I don't want to offend, but your dad, well, he seems to have some "issues" to put it mildly. I am sorry he put you through all this but it is brave of you to forgive him.

You are very justified in your feelings and hey, if you can't bare your soul to the anonymous internet, who can you?

I made the mistake of giving most of my friends, a smattering of family, and my hubsand my blog info so sometimes I feel really inhibited. There are things I would love to get off my chest and write about but I can't, because too many people I know read me.

But hang in there - you are an awesome person and a wonderful parent. You are clearly making some great decisions.

fluentsoul said...

Thanks, Meredith, for daring to comment. ;-) I appreciate your kind words.