Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Vocational Testing for the Pre-Schooler

My son will be three next month. Already there are some clues about his future vocation. Judging from his words, I see several career paths emerging as potential fits for my son. For example:

  1. Spin Doctor/Politician -- When his little sister tries to join him for a round of "jumping" (bouncing on his knees) on his toddler bed, my son rudely tells her to go away. I remind him that we are nice to each other in this house and that we share. He pauses to think. Finally, gesturing earnestly, he says to his sister, "I don't want you to fell and hurt your head. I sorry, but I just don't think it's an idea." He convinces her.
  2. Horticulturist -- Taking his toy lawn mower out into the yard, he says, "Bye, Mommy. I'm going to make some dandelions."
  3. Therapist -- "Daddy, are you sad because your daddy died? Do you miss him? Here, I give you a hug."
  4. Jewish Farmer -- "Old McDonald had a farm, E-I-E-mayim!"
  5. Attorney -- My son sees me give his sister, who has just received a vaccination, some Tylenol, and he asks me for some. I explain that Tylenol is just for people who are sick or who are hurting from, say, a shot. He asks, "If I don't get a shot and I take Tylenol, will it make me sick?" I answer that it might. "Then can I take Tylenol because I'm sick?"
  6. Doctor -- In the middle of Shabbat dinner, my son blurts out, "Grandma, do you have a 'bagina'?"


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great stuff! We could always use some more Jewish farmers!

fluentsoul said...

Thanks, Eric. ;-)