Friday, April 21, 2006

What the Intermarried Talk About

(The following is a conversation my husband and I had early in our marriage.)

She: Have you ever wondered why you never hear of people today having the last names of certain people from history? For example --

He: You mean like Christ?

She: (Laughs) What?

He: Seriously. I've never seen the name Christ in a phone book.

She: You do know that Christ wasn't Jesus's last name, right?

He: What? Wasn't it? Then why are people always calling him Jesus Christ.

She: Christ is a title, not a name. It means anointed or savior or something. It's not a last name.
He: Are you sure?

She: Yeah. I mean, it wasn't like "Mary and Joseph Christ."

He: It wasn't?

She: No!

He: Oh, that's right! Mary's last name was Magdalene.

She: No, no, no. That was a different Mary.

He: Then what was his last name?

She: He didn't have one.

He: What do you mean he didn't have one?

She: Well, I don't think people had last names back then.

He: Are you sure?

She: Pretty sure.

He: Hmm.

She: I mean, it's like Moses. Moses didn't have a last name.

He: (frowns skeptically)

(A few moments of silence)

He: Well, what about Judas Priest?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You just blew my mind! I always thought it was his last name too. :-) I did meet a Mr. Moses once, his first name was Nero (and I am not kidding)