Saturday, May 20, 2006

Selfishly Intermarried

I've been reading various blog entries about Jewish intermarriage. What I'm reading is, in general, discouraging. No, I'm not talking about the appalling intermarriage rate. I'm talking about how discouraging it is to read about marriages like mine as if they were created for the purpose of destroying Judaism, or that they are the union of two incredibly selfish beings who have no regard for their parents' feelings, values, or history. Beyond discouraging is the Holocaust analogy, comparing intermarried couples to Hitler; such a comparison is both offensive and juvenile and does not merit even this brief mention.

On the topic of intermarriage and selfishness, I've been doing some thinking about whether my own marriage was a selfish one. True, my husband's parents would have preferred he find a Jewish wife. He looked for a long time, but we live in a place where the Jewish population is miniscule. His choices were to A) move elsewhere to find a larger Jewish population, B) remain a bachelor, or C) widen his search a bit for the likes of me. Obviously, he chose C and, in my opinion at least, didn't do half bad.

Let's just consider choice A, though, for the sake of argument. He could have quit a good job that it took him a while to find and moved to a big city, leaving his mother all alone. Instead, my husband chose to stay close by and lend her support in the years following his father's death. That wasn't a selfish choice. And let's look at B. He could have chosen not to marry. But marriage is an important aspect of Judaism. Continuing his father's legacy was important to him, too; he always said he didn't care if our children were boys or girls, but at the same time, he was so pleased to have a son so that he could give him his father's name. Is that selfishness?

How about me? Am I selfish because I don't have enough respect for the Jewish tradition to declare a Jewish man off-limits when I'm dating? Or am I selfish because of the disrespect I have for my own family's tradition? I'm assuming it's the latter. Now, I understand to some extent that there's just a cultural difference here. Marrying "out" is much more of a taboo in the Jewish community than it is in the culture in which I was raised. And I realize that Judaism/Jewishness is unique in that there are issues of peoplehood and religion and history all mixed together. Still, the culture and religion in which I was raised are important to its followers, too, and naturally my parents almost surely would have chosen someone of their own faith for me if they had been in a position to choose. I don't have any excuses about a small dating pool. In my case, the man I fell in love with was Jewish, and I chose to marry him.

Okay, so if anyone was selfish, it was I, not my husband. Even more selfish of me, then, is the fact that I am considering conversion to Judaism. It is selfish, I suppose, that I would want to distance myself even further from my heritage. And so, it follows logically that every convert to Judaism is/was also selfish. All of them chose to leave behind a tradition their parents surely valued, right? Each and every one must have been thinking only about him- or herself, not about carrying on a tradition.

Hm. I bet those who call the intermarried selfish would stop short of calling Jews-by-choice selfish. Yeah, good thing. But that's where their logic leads.

When my husband and I take our children to synagogue, we are, almost without exception, warmly welcomed. However, when I read arguments like the ones I've been reading, I now can't help but wonder if the people I am getting to know at synagogue might really wish we weren't there. Are they judging us? Do they take one look at my kids' eye color and secretly wish them gone? Do they trying to guess whether my children have been converted or not, and by a rabbi of what affiliation? Do the people with whom we worship assume we are selfish? Do they compare us with Hitler?

Are we selfish for assuming we have anything to offer?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel you, sister. I went to a Chanukah party to meet the Nice Jewish Boys and ended up with the only goy there. No one has ever given us crap but I do think a lot about the future of Judaism and if my own intermarriage, my own happiness, is part of the overall end of Judaism. For this I am trying to make sure my child is raised with all tenants of Judaism that I feel are important and I would lie if I said that I didn't hope someday he settles down with a nice Jewish girl (or guy - whatever makes him happy!)

Anonymous said...

You know, I was thinking about this more last night and I think you should know that the people at your synogogue most likely love that you are there and are not judging you. Even though you are not a convert, you are clearly going very often and raising your kids Jewish and taking them to the temple and that really matters. At the temples I have gone to it is the going and being involved that matters more than who was born Jewish or who came to it by other means. I bet you anything that no one at your temple wishes you gone, things of you as selfish, or compares you to Hitler.

fluentsoul said...

Meredith, I hope you're right about how others view us at the synagogue. I guess the harsh opinions about intermarriage just caught me by surprise and discouraged me; I'm used to the openness at sites like Jewish Outreach Institute and InterfaithFamily.com, where, naturally, things are a little more interfaith-friendly.

BTW, it's hilarious you met your husband at a Hanukkah party! :-)

Jack Steiner said...

FS,

It is a hard thing and a very complex issue. I think that if people were to give you their true opinions it would be a mix of things, but there would be a lot of open arms, especially at the synagogue.

I won't make this a long post, so here is what I want to try and say. Jews who have a strong background and Jewish education and choose to marry outside are one thing. I prefer that they marry Jews, but if they don't I hope that they raise their children to be Jewish.

The people that upset me most tend to be the Jews who have little to no Jewish education but feel qualified to proclaim that they know everything about Judaism and decide that with this limited knowledge they are just going to throw it all away.

It is not always a bad thing to make selfish decisions and in some cases it is better to be selfish than selfless.

Look, I'd rather see children raised in a loving home than anything else, regardless of faith, race, creed, sexuality etc. Don't know if this makes sense, but I hope that it does.

In any case, as I mentioned before I don't see this as being a black and white issue. And to be very clear I think that there is one of the reasons why it is important to have multiple branches of Judaism because one doesn't serve us all.

fluentsoul said...

Jack,

I agree that it's not a black and white issue at all. I can see how it would bother you if people who had no Jewish education were vocal about Judaism being "obsolete."

You know what's funny? My husband says that our marriage is making him a better Jew. Maybe marrying a Jew would have made him an even better one, but sometimes I think people just have to take the long way around. And sometimes, as in our case, both the Jewish partner and the non-Jewish partner are equally committed to the future of Judaism.

Jack Steiner said...

And sometimes, as in our case, both the Jewish partner and the non-Jewish partner are equally committed to the future of Judaism

Makes perfect sense to me. Part of the challenge is that we are all dealing with the impact of thousands of years of persecution.

There was so much for so long it has impacted us in ways that are not always so positive.

fluentsoul said...

That's a really good point, Jack. Such a good point, in fact, that my original response to your comment is too long to put here and is instead going to become my next post.